Tobacco use results in more deaths than AIDS, unintentional injuries, suicide, homicide, and alcohol & drug abuse combined. (SAMHSA)
80% of adult smokers who are nicotine dependent report that they started smoking before the age of 18 (SAMHSA)
Contact Us: 1-877-IDMINOR
Reward & Reminder Quarterly Drawing Winners
Smoker Friendly Employee Recognized for Denying Tobacco Sale to Minor
Melissa Anderson, while an employee of Smoker Friendly in Bozeman, has become the 1st quarter winner of a $100 gift certificate for refusing to sell tobacco products to a minor.
Her name was drawn from a pool of tobacco outlet employees throughout Montana who were caught doing the right thing during a recent three-month period. These employees were identified through Reward & Reminder - a Montana Department of Public Health and Human Services program to promote compliance with Montana′s youth access to tobacco law.
Reward & Reminder helps Montana maintain a compliance rate above 80 percent during official merchant inspections conducted each year. The program involves a minor, under the supervision of an adult, entering a business and attempting to purchase an age-restricted tobacco product. Clerks who refuse the sale receive a "Reward" card thanking them and offering the opportunity to enter a drawing for a $100 gift certificate. Clerks who agree to sell tobacco to the minor receive a "Reminder" card indicating that they could have been fined a $25 education fee for the civil offense of selling tobacco to a minor. The adult supervisor witnesses the transaction and presents the cards.
Reward and Reminder surveyors visit tobacco retailers in nearly all Montana counties up to four times each year.
- Lori Klingelsmith, Lucky Palms Casino, Belgrade 2011-12 4th Quarter
- Andrea Bethel, Southside IGA, Billings 2011-12 3rd Quarter
- Elton Byxbe, Inverness Bar, Inverness 2011-12 2nd Quarter
- Kelly Harris, Valley Hub, Helena 2011-12 1st Quarter
- Cindy Hagstrom, Magic Diamond Casino, Bozeman 2010-11 4th Quarter
- Lynette Waller, Glacier Tavern, Lewistown 2010-11 3rd Quarter
- Lindsey Forbes, Smokers Express, Great Falls 2010-11 2nd Quarter
- Desiree Jansen, Zip Trip #52, Billings 2010-11 1st Quarter